Before you sign up for an online class, take a look at the Learning Management System (Blackboard) used by Boise State to deliver these classes at a distance.
Available in Two Formats
The self-paced format is free to access and noncredit. Access this course if you want to explore the subject by yourself and at your own pace without other students or an instructor.
The instructor-led format is a five-week, one-credit, college-level course — UNIV 107: Introduction to eLearning. Register for this course if you want to learn in an online course setting, along with other students, facilitated by an instructor.
Explore Five Areas
The purpose of this introductory course is to help potential online students:
- Develop clear expectations of online learning
- Identify personal learning strengths and weaknesses
- Review best practices for Internet use
- Understand basic computer literacy
- Become comfortable with Blackboard navigation
Upon completion of this tutorial you will be familiar with the following areas important to online learning:
- Identify the different components of Blackboard including:
- Learning Modules
- Exams & Surveys
- Other Learning Tools
- Identify your individual learning style
- Identify learning style strengths & weaknesses
- Evaluate personal readiness to learn online
- Identify proper Internet etiquette
- Manage personal privacy online
- Identify tools to search and evaluate web resources
- Recognize BroncoMail as a communication tool
- Identify Boise State Library resources
- Identify best uses for Wikis and Blogs
- Evaluate methods for cutting, copying and pasting files using Windows Explorer
- Identify file types by extension
- Identify, create and organize files & folders using common features in the windows environment
- Save documents in different formats
- Identify the four stages of project management
- Develop strategies for managing time
- Create a timeline for multiple classes that include pre-planning and calendaring
How to Access
How do I access the self-paced tutorial?
I learned Blackboard basics and worked at my own pace!
- Go to the Blackboard login page (http://blackboard.boisestate.edu/).
- Login as a guest.
- Under the category “My Courses” on the right side of the page, click the link to “Elearning at Boise State.”
How do I register for the five-week, one-credit tutorial?Since this option is available for college-level credit, you must first be admitted to Boise State University as a student.Already a student? Register for UNIV 107 through your Student Center on my.BoiseState. This course counts towards elective credit requirements for graduation.
This course was great! I especially liked the time management portionI learned lots of interesting little details and improved my overall knowledge of computers and the internet. I’m glad I took it!